Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Snow more or snow no more

Today was one of those days that it made you think about skiing. It was gray, and kept giving little tease snow flurries, pretending that the sky would open up and bury us in a clean, crisp new layer of snow. Alas, that has not happened yet. I hope to wake to enough snow that I have to go shovel. It's been a while since I got to throw snow. I like to shovel, it says to me that winter is here to help, to help me ski and maintain that sense of flight I usually only get on a bicycle. I know that my skis are ready to go, sitting in a corner ready and tuned, fresh wax and edges sharp just the way I like them, 89.
The snowfall also makes me think of six months from now, in the heat of June, that snowpack will still be melting and feeding our streams, rivers and filling our lakes. Right now, however, I think about our low snowpack. How this year colder, but drier than last. I hate draught. It makes it hot, the dust makes Colorado seem hazy, dangerous.
I've seen fires sweep the land, and next time will be worse than last, I think. The beetlekill forests have red, dry and ready kindling by thousands of acres, a giant matchbook. Fuck hell fire is what may prevail, is an eventuality. something to prepare for....unless we get more snow. then it might be staved off for another year.
Still, I went and rode my bike today. riding manuals down the street felt really good. I love my bikes, even when it is a filthy, icy mess outside. I put some fenders on my wife's bike today, at her request. I'm glad she got them, I think the Schwinn will be a great commuter for her. It fits her, rides smooth, is tough and she looks good on it. Oh, how shallow am I? I'm just happy she's riding it to work. Bikes are way more fun than cars, especially when you get to break up your day with a little lunch ride home.
good night fuckers...haha

No comments:

Post a Comment